Friday, March 5, 2010

The Lucy Senegal Journal Day 3



February 20th, 9:58 PM
There is sand everywhere. On my bed, in my purse, in my suitcase, even in this journal. Despite the sand, I can truly say that I like it here now. This morning, I was in severe culture shock. Every noise and sight just made me want to curl back up in my bed (if it wasn't so hot). When the whole team went to set up the clinic, that was when I decided to just enjoy it, no matter what. It's really worked. I love every minute that I'm here.

I woke up to the rooster this morning. There are animals everywhere: goats, sheep, pigs, chickens, cats, and dogs; they all just roam around.

This goat was bit on the neck by a horse and looked like it was going to die. They made a poultice of hot sand, put in on the wound, and the goat is still alive.

I ate breakfast, which consisted of the juiciest tangerines, bread with a homemade nutella spread, and bananas. It was delicious. Jade went and played with the kids for hours. I don't know how she does it. I was a little overwhelmed by all of them.

Afterward, we went to set up the clinic. The dental chairs were recliners and sterilization was a pressure cooker and some anti-bacterial wipes. Despite being primitive, the clinic seems functional and I'm really excited to start working there tomorrow.

Taking a break during clinic set-up

Sterilization center

Jade and I were taught how to instruct the young children on how to brush their teeth and to stay away from sugar and candy, which they eat a TON of. Mai, a young and extremely intelligent school teacher, will be the main person teaching the children because she is African, but speaks and reads English as well. She is the most beautiful African woman I've ever met.

Jade and Mai in our classroom

As a side note, there was a bat...a living, breathing, flapping bat in the room we'll be teaching in.

Lunch was spicy chicken and rice. Also delicious. I went and played with the children afterwards and I'm starting to understand how and why Jade stays out there for hours. Its because it's complete chance that you're living in a nice home and they live in a shack. It could have been different. It's just that I almost want to give a piece of my heart and life to the little boy who was just slapped by his mother, or the girl who told me she was my best friend. I want to give a taste of my life. Just spending an hour getting mobbed by children, I hope I'm giving them a happy memory.


What took faith today:
*Just getting up in the morning
*Forcing myself to smile
*Remembering that we are all children of God.

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

Very awesome! It looks like she had an amazing experience and learned a lot. Both about herself and others. She's very lucky to have had that experience!

Kelly said...

That clinic looks exactly like the one we used in Morocco. Although our sterilization may have been a bit better. I love her explanation of why it was fun for her to play with the kids. What a great life lesson!

Jen Bay said...

I love these entries.

Lisa said...

Good job, Lucy! It's fun to read about your Senegal experience...looking forward to more journal entries.

Julie said...

Lucy...your posts are amazing. What and experience you had. Great pictures too!