Saturday, January 9, 2010

Cho-a-lina Ballerina

After a lifetime of waiting, today was the day.

She arrived at the breakfast table ready for whatever type of dance may be required.

At the studio, even in the excitement of the moment,
she treated the red shoes with the respect they deserve.

She was unsure of what to do at the barre......

....obviously.

But she did know one thing. Ballerinas dance on their toes. While the rest of the class stood flat-footed for warm-ups, she nearly fell on her face
attempting to do it all en-pointe.
Click on this picture to see it large. It looks painful.

The girls and I left Cholita to her calf exercises and walked through downtown Poulsbo.

It reminds me of Bedford Falls, except with a harbor.

There's the beautiful old Lutheran church with the clock that chimes out the hour,

the bakery,

oh, how we love the bakery,

and the bookstore.
With the restaurant next door and the bathroom down the hall,
we could move in and be just fine.

But the tutus on display outside reminded us that our ballerina was most likely battling some serious foot cramps by this time, so we hustled back the the studio.

And the verdict?
After years of begging?
Years of practice in the kitchen?

Cholita met us with her ballet slipper in-hand,
wearing a disappointed expression.

"I guess it was O.K."

Poor girl. I think she was expecting the Nutcracker.

9 comments:

Chelsea said...

Too funny! You're right, that picture looked very painful! I love down-town Poulsbo. We've also spent a great deal of time drooling in front of their bakery and in the different bookstores!

Beach Mama said...

What a beautiful ballerina! Great photos! Looks like a great time!

~T~ said...

When I was about Cholita's age, I decided that I already knew ballet. My dad tried to encourage me, teaching me exercises from a library book, with my sister's playpen for a barre. I didn't see what those dull foot positions had to do with real dancing. Maybe that's why I'm not a famous ballerina today.

janelle sweet said...

Darling pictures and story! I love the tap shoes over the ballet slippers and I love how you pointed out how Cholita took care of her red shoes, even in the hustle and bustle.

Julie said...

LOVE IT!!

Laura L. said...

Those are such sweet photos! I hope she will continue to love her dance and it will be more than just O.K. in the future. :)
Too cute, she is.

Shirlee McCoy said...

How cute!

Brings back memories of my oldest daughter's first day at ballet!

Unknown said...

dance, cholita, dance!!!!! and have fun doing it.

Tammy B. said...

Oh I love it! That was a fun post to read-complete with great photos. We tried dance class for our four year old but she didn't last long. Perhaps modern dance is more her thing. :)